Summer is almost at an end, which means that it’s time to start thinking about the coming school year. For those of you just starting college, this also means thinking about new living arrangements—mostly likely in a residence hall. Unless you are very fortunate, your dorm room will be basic at best, containing just a bed, a desk, and hopefully a window. Luckily, it’s easy to transform your drab dorm room into a home away from home with a few simple accessories.
Dorm rooms are cramped, so storage is essential. Tall shelves preserve floor space because they allow you to store items vertically. Closet organizers are also good for keeping clutter at bay. Over the door hooks are ideal for stashing commonly used items like your coat and book bag. Storage bins are the most attractive way to organize. They come in a variety of cool textiles and designs. You can even make your own storage bins with shoeboxes and contact paper.
Get rid of harsh overhead lighting! Warm light makes a sterile dorm room look inviting. You’ll also need a good lamp for studying and reading. If you’re short on cash, pick up a secondhand lamp. Secondhand lamps are cheap, and they usually don’t come with shades. That’s okay! A stylish new lampshade gives it a makeover.
Your bed will be your primary piece of furniture. It will be your couch, your study station, and your place of relaxation. It’s worthwhile to invest in some colorful, attractive bedding. Choose a comforter with a multicolored pattern that picks up the other colors you use to decorate your room. Throw pillows allow you to transition the bed into a couch as needed.
The absolute best thing you can do for your dorm room is adorn the walls. You won’t be able to paint, and many residence halls prohibit picture-hanging hardware. This calls for wall decals! Wall decals are perfect for decorating dorms. They’re easy to apply and easy to take down. Choose from a huge variety of themes, designs, and colors.
- Use wall decals to show your school spirit with team colors or slogans. Most wall decals come in an array of vibrant colors, and you can custom order any kind of message.
- Music lovers can find plenty of inspiring wall decals: boom boxes, musical notes, instruments and more.
- Sports fans can find wall decals that pay tribute to almost any sport or outdoor hobby: basketball, karate, skydiving, tennis, cheerleading, and many more!
- Create a sophisticated, unique headboard for your bed with foliage wall decals.
- Decorate your walls with an abstract design using multipacks of polka dots or geometric shapes.
- Personalize your space with initials and monograms. Many wall decals come with complimentary monogramming!
Wall Decal World offers a wide variety of options for those who want to use wall decals to decorate their dorm room at school or any room in their home. Each wall decal is made from high quality matte vinyl – in a variety of sizes. You can call Wall Decal World at (866) 456-5316 or e-mail us at [email protected]world.com for answers to your custom wall decal questions!